Mosques in Ahmedabad
Siddi Saiyad’s MosqueOne of the most photographed monuments in Ahmedabad is the Sidi Saiyad Mosque situated near Lal Darwaja, towards the north-west corner of the Bhadra Fort. The mosque was built by a slave of Ahmed Shah in 1572 and it was carved with extraordinary delicacy.
Rani Sipri MosqueRani Sipri’s Mosque, also known as Masjid-e-Nagina (Jewel of a Mosque) is situated towards the southwest of Manek Chowk. The mosque is so called because of its elegant proportions and slender minarets. The mosque is believed to have been built in 1514 AD by Rani Sipri, wife of Mehmud Begada who executed their son for a misdemeanor. After the death of Rani Sipri, her body was buried under the premises of the mosque.
The height of the mosque is 50ft and length is 54ft. It has a separate area of worship, upstairs, for women called, 'Jenana'. Another important tourist attraction at this place is 'Jhulta Minar', better known as the Shaking Minarets.