Local Bodies in Ahmedabad
Often referred to as the ‘Manchester of the East’ because of its rich and flourishing textile industry, this city gained popularity due to its association with the Father of the Nation, Mahatma Gandhi who spear headed the Indian Independence Movement. Ahmedabad is on its way to becoming a mega city and boast of an urban population of more than fifty lacs. It is a city of mosques and temples which are again widely acclaimed due to their ornamental and exquisite designs and sculptures.
Governing Bodies in Ahmedabad
The local bodies of Ahmedabad have undertaking the task of preserving its heritage and the AMC has called upon the conservation and the search of urban traditional architecture (CRUTA), foundation of Calcutta to help preserve the cities heritage.
The functions of the Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation can be broadly divided into two i.e. Obligatory and Discretionary. There are many obligatory functions of the AMC but a few need to be mentioned as they are indispensible to the smooth running and conservation of the city.
- To erect city boundaries for defining city limits.
- Sewage Services.
- Health and Medical Services.
- To maintain burial homes and funeral houses.
- Relief work in times of scarcity and disaster.
- To maintain and construct new hospitals and infirmaries
- Public transport facility maintenance
- Destroy birds and animals which are a nuisance
- Providing shelter to the homeless and poor people
- Maintaining ambulance services
It is an IAS Officer who is appointed by the Government of Gujarat who heads the Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation. In order to help in the smooth running of the administration the city is divided into five zones- Central, East, West, North and South. Very recently there has been an addition of the New West Zone. Each Zone is further divided into 9 wards. Except for the South Zone which has 7 wards. 3 Corporators represent these wards and they attain these power through an election. The party which has the most number of corporators is headed by the Mayor. However this Mayor is more of a rubber stamp as he does not have the power to execute and carry out duties.
The AMC has proved its grit by delivering services of high standards, covering water supply, sewerage and solid waste collection. Cleanliness of the city and excellent transport services has been maintained with better roads in recent years.
Some new ideas undertaken by this body are:
- Property tax reforms to manage finances better, improving slums and other urban areas. It has set a zero litigation record.
- Improving the environment
- Public private partnership introduced in the Municipal transport which is a unique step involving 220 environment friendly CNG buses which has lead to almost 33% reduction in the operation costs.
- SHARE THIS
- TWEET THIS
- SHARE THIS
- LOVE THIS 0