Bhadra Fort Ahmedabad
When it comes to the history of Ahmedabad, Bhadra Fort stands as an important part of it. The fort was built in the year 1411 AD, by the then ruler Sultan Ahmed Shah. The city Ahmedabad was named after this ruler since he was the one who laid the foundation of the city. The entire old Ahmedabad city was covered with the huge and deep red colored sandstone walls of the splendid fort. This fort is spread over an area of 43 acres with the beautiful lush green garden and a grand pavilion.
The Structure of Bhadra FortUndoubtedly, Bhadra fort is known for its excellent architecture all over the world. The fort featured royal palaces, awesome Nagina Baugh and magnificent Ahmed Shah Mosque on west side of the fort. On the east side, there is an open space called as Maiden Shah. The fort had a majestic city wall with 14 minars (towers), eight gates, and two large openings. The fort also has beautifully carved arches, windows, gates, balconies, with aesthetic Jali works. The Bhadra fort also has Teen Darwaja on the eastern side of the fort which attracts the tourists in an amazing way. This gateway obliges as an entrance to the Royal Square of the fort.
Inside the Bhadra FortInside the fort, the tourists are generally allowed to visit the rooms of the kings, the dungeons (place where the prisoners were kept), and the royal court. Another highlight of the fort is the view from the roof of the fort. Tourists are allowed to reach the roof. From here, the whole surroundings of the city can be watched.
Government Offices in the Bhadra FortCurrently, the fort features few of the Government offices such as Archaeological Survey of India, Post Office, and the city’s Civil Courts. Another important tourist attraction in the fort is the city’s first industrialist’s statue and the Sidi Sayed Mosque. In recent days, the venue of the fort is more often used for the purpose of celebrating the country’s Independence Day and Republic Day as well.
Temple Near Bhadra FortThis fort is well-known for Bhadrakali Temple (dedicated to a Hindu Goddess) which was built near the gate of the fort. It is believed that Bhadrakali temple was built few decades ago when the Goddess Laxmi visited the Bhadra fort and was about to leave the fort and city passing through the gate during night. The watchman, Siddique Kotwal identified and stopped her, saying not to leave the place until he gets permission from the king. As per his word, the Goddess Laxmi promised him. The watchman beheaded himself in order to stop the Goddess from leaving the city and the fort. Hence, the city Ahmedabad resulted in the prosperity.
Near Bhadra gate, the tomb was built in memory of the watchman Siddique Kotwal and the temple to Bhadrakali with four hands, representing the Goddess Laxmi.
The Clock Tower in Bhadra Fort
The fort also has a clock tower which was brought from London to Ahmedabad in the year 1849, pricing Rs. 8000. During those days, 8000 was great sum. The clock was installed in the tower at the cost of Rs. 2430 in the year 1878 by the British East India Company. Till 1915, the clock was used with the kerosene lamp during night time. After 1915, electric light was used.
Location of the Fort:
Locality Lal Darwaza
- SHARE THIS
- TWEET THIS
- SHARE THIS
- LOVE THIS 0